Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Cricket

It is more than 10 years since I have stopped watching cricket. It's not that I haven't watched any cricket at all since then. Some overs in this match, some balls in that, I've watched. But, I don't remember when I watched a match from start to finish. Probably the one when India won the world cup in 2011. 

I had never been a cricket-crazy guy. May be because, I never played the game. The only occasion I played was during my Infosys training days. I was included in the team because they didn't have enough players that day. I was the 11th batsman in the team. The bowler was on hat-trick, and I had to face the last ball of the over. I was pleaded by the non-striker to block the ball any which way, so that he could bat the next over. The bowler came charging along. It was a slow ball. I closed my eyes and with all my might swung the bat. When I opened my eyes, I saw the bowler and the wicket keeper celebrating. The hat-trick was complete. The non-striker batsman was giving me a look mixed of anger and frustration. That was the beginning and end of my cricketing career. 

Like any other Indian kid I had been an avid watcher of cricket during my childhood days. Was a big fan of Sachin. I think, death of my interest in cricket and Sachin's retirement are deeply connected. 

I still remember the day India won the world cup in 2011. After the match, we drove around the city in our car. There was tens of thousands of people on the road, celebrating, bursting crackers....and there was only one slogan on every mouth - Sachiiiin Sachinnn.  The atmosphere was exhilarating. 

I wish we will have similar celebration this time.

Today is India's semi-final against New Zealand. 



P.S. India WON! We are in the finals...Sunday gonna be fun!

P.P.S. India lost to Australia in the finals. Sad, but not heartbroken. Am I too old to be emotionally attached to things? 

     


No comments:

Post a Comment